Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Running and its difficulties!

Running ugh...

The other day I had just finished a big run and my feet were killing me!!! I was a mess! I am training for a half-marathon and I am just over halfway. It is week 6 in my 10 week training plan. I am surprised at the mental challenge long distance running is on the body and the mind...or just running in general HA! I have enjoyed the very few moments where you actually feel amazing and you feel as though you could run and run and run FOREVER, but....I have realized that during my runs I am fighting (mentally) the battle of positive vs. negative thinking.  For example, during my runs I am constantly pondering the idea of giving up completely. I start to think that there is no way I can keep going! My body is fatigued beyond belief and I feel as though there is no end in site. These thoughts flood my thinking on EVERY SINGLE RUN that I go on! Yet, I have to say that preparing for this run has been such a great learning experience for me. A lot of the time I have to quote memory verses to keep going or I have to desperately think of something positive or motivating to break through the walls of defeat. When, in God's strength, I do break through those walls, there is such a joy that overcomes me. I can't say that I enjoy running, but I enjoy how it challenges my will to keep going. I enjoy that it gives me that time with God, and how I have to depend on Him for strength and motivation. Just thought I would share :)

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73: 26
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it." 1 Corinthians 9:24

No comments:

Post a Comment