Monday, August 27, 2012

Things I have learned the second time around....

So I thought I would reflect on our experience with having our second child, Brooklyn. Here are a few things I have learned from having a second baby:

1. Labor really isn't shorter with the second child...Isaac 7hrs, Brooklyn 14 hrs!!! Lies, all lies:)
2. Having a doula at your birth is essential!!!
3. The ease of breastfeeding really depends on each child. Brooklyn has been easy, but Isaac was extremely difficult.
4. Don't stress a schedule with baby until atleast three weeks. Then you can really work on the eat, wake, and sleep cycle. (complements of babywise!) I enjoyed Brooklyn so much in those first few weeks.
5. When baby is napping, relax and let your mind rest. Don't go in to check on her until you hear her cry.
6. Having two kids has brought me to my knees in prayer much more often! Need the Saviors strength and wisdom daily!
7. I am way more comfortable with her and much more confident with the infant stage since having a second baby.
8. Babies are sooooo adorable!!!
9. Lay baby down whenever possible so you can help with older child. Baby gets use to not being held all the time and you can help out older sibling.
10. Babies can be taken anywhere! They are so adaptable where ever they go. We have brought Brooklyn everywhere and she has been pretty easy so far:)
11. Lay baby down before they are asleep so they learn how to fall asleep on their own. So far we haven't had to rock Brooklyn to sleep but with Isaac we had to really work at getting him to sleep.
12. Babies are soooo different depending on their personality.
13. Routine! Routine! Routine!! It helps so much when you are trying to understand why a baby is crying. We feed Brooklyn every three hours and really work on her staying awake after every feed. Then she goes down for a nap. When we are consistent with the feed, wake, and sleep cycle then we know exactly what she needs each time she cries.....doesn't work every time, but more often then not.
14. Children are truly a blessing from the Lord!
15. It is so much fun to spend one on one time with each child. Some days I will just take Isaac out and some days it will just be Brooklyn and I. I cherish each time with each one of them.
16. Having a toddler forces you to get out more, which is a blessing because you don't get cabin fever in those first early months.
17. Have people over!! The social factor was a big one for me. I just love chatting with people because it really lifts your spirits even if you are exhausted.
18. 5 hours of sleep is AMAZING! and you can function with that in those early weeks.

There is a lot more to add to this list, but I don't want to bore you all:) Good night for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment